If you're lucky enough to know what you want to do. DO IT! If you have no idea what you want to do in life, be present, work as hard as you can, and doors will open.
1. START...I know it is easier said than done, but if you want something bad enough, you figure it out. I was not a business major and I didn't go to fashion school, but I was a college athlete and that taught me that if you want something, go after it - no excuses. I’ve learned throughout my lacrosse career that if you don’t give 110% every chance you get…you’ll find yourself wishing you had done more when you had the chance. If you don’t start you’ll just find yourself complaining about how things could be/should be…. You don’t want to be that person. I started right after graduation because I know great things take time. I may have to grind it out for 5-10 years before I see any real results. But as Muhammad Ali said, "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’ “ In both sports and business, you have to fall in love with the hard work.
2. FAITH ... Have faith… I’m not saying you need to be religious, but have faith in the universe. Believe that one day you’ll look back on the hardest times and be thankful for them. I personally believe I have guardian angels that are leading me through every single moment. Have faith in your vision & idea and know that there are people out there who believe in you.
3. POSITIVE & PRESENT. Be positive & present. Try to see the good in every situation because it is there and you choose whether or not you want to see it. Something I find myself doing a lot is realizing how amazing it is that everyday brings new opportunities. It is very easy in today’s world to get caught up in all the negativity. Stay present, positive, and persistent. When you are consistently living in the present you start to feel very lucky. You will notice all the amazing things that surround you everyday and they will inspire you to keep going.
4. LEARN. Love to learn. Assume you know nothing, and want to know everything. We live in a world where if you need to figure something out, there are so many resources to do so. However, it is NOT EASY and you need to be willing to challenge yourself and figure things out. Why do things work a certain way? Why do people think a certain way? What in their life have they been through, how did they handle it, and how can i see that in them today?… I love that people have reached out to me for guidance. I love when someone has a direction question. However, when someone asks me “How do I start a clothing line?” My first thought is “lazy”. Do your research, get as far as you can and when you have a direct question about sourcing, sampling, marketing, packaging, design, etc. I would love to help you. Right now -- I have no idea if OTL is going to be a lifetime career. However, I know that if I work hard and I learn as much as possible everyday, the universe will lead me in the right direction.
5. HEAD DOWN… Expect nothing & give everything. Imagine you’re running a marathon...and you’re running as fast as you possibly can the entire time. You have no idea what mile you are on or how close/far away you are from the finish line, but you keep giving your absolute best effort. You’ll only know you’re done when you see the finish line underneath you. Expect nothing— every single sale I make feels like I just won the lottery. I’m working as hard as I possibly can because I believe in the vision & mission of On The Line and absolutely love what I am doing everyday…